On devices with Google apps installed, there are some „Location Providers“ already available – but not everybody likes to share his location with Google. Luckily, there are alternatives – GApps installed or not. If you want to contribute to coverage and quality, please see below, WLAN WarDriving and Monitoring & Mapping.
- XposedGmsCoreUnifiedNlp (0@0) LastUpdate: 2016-01-28 Github; like XposedUnifiedNlp, but for the newer GmsCore with UnifiedNlp integrated
- XposedUnifiedNlp (0@0) LastUpdate: 2016-05-26 Better integration for UnifiedNLP on devices with GApps installed (e.g. disable Google location); Github
- Déjà Vu Location Service (0@0) 4 Github; uses locally acquired WLAN/Wi-Fi AP and mobile/cellular tower data to resolve user location
- LocalGsmNlpBackend (0@0) 5 Github; Back-end for UnifiedNLP (local database); works with OpenCellID and Mozilla
- LocalWifiNlpBackend (0@0) 5 Github; Back-end for UnifiedNLP (local WiFi database)
- UnifiedNlp (GAPPS) (0@0) 3 LastUpdate: 2017-02-03 / UnifiedNlp (no GAPPS) (legacy) (0@0) 3 LastUpdate: 2017-01-17 Github; the front-end; the non-legacy app for Gfree devices shares its package name with GServices and hence is skipped here
- Apple UnifiedNlp Backend (0@0) 8 Github; Back-end for UnifiedNLP (Apple WiFi); this one tracks you as well
- MozillaNlpBackend (0@0) 7 Github; Back-end for UnifiedNLP (Mozilla)
- NominatimNlpBackend (0@0) 1 LastUpdate: 2017-05-28 Github; Back-end for UnifiedNLP (geocoding provider (MapQuest Nominatim)); used e.g. for gallery (show name of the location)
- Radiocells.org UnifiedNlp Backend (0@0) 8 Github; https://www.radiocells.org/downloads; Back-end for UnifiedNLP using RadioCells.org (formerly OpenBmap)
Some of above listed Location Providers are based on communities gathering WiFi and cell locations to improve coverage and quality, making it a „give and take“. If you want to participate, you can do so e.g. with the following apps.
- Aus Phone Towers (3G,4G,5G) (4.5@300) Ǥ 7 OpenCellId and Mozilla
- Tower Collector (4.3@210) Ǥ 11 Github; contributes to OpenCellID and Mozilla; IzzyOnDroid recommendation (F-Droid version)
- Mozilla Stumbler (4.2@1,165) 10 Github; Vorstellung 3/2014; Data gathering for Mozilla Location Service
- inViu routes GPS tracker OSM (4.1@302) 15 Test 7/2013; Vorstellung 10/2013; OSM Wiki EN | DE; tracker using and contributing to OpenCellID, also supports GeoNotes
- inViu OpenCellID (3.6@318) 9 LastUpdate: 2016-11-06 records cell towers incl. coordinates for open-source database, see OpenCellID (map) and in the Wiki
- RadioBeacon (0@0) 11 LastUpdate: 2016-09-15 Github; Wiki; Map wireless networks and cell towers for the radiocells.org database (formerly OpenBmap)
These apps can be used to find out whether your location backends work and how accurate they are.
- Location Provider Debugger (4.1@20) 2 LastUpdate: 2017-04-23 Github; To check if yours work
- Location Provider Test (4@27) Ǥ 9 LastUpdate: 2014-09-27 show accuracy of the different providers used
- Location Test (3.7@56) 4 LastUpdate: 2017-08-02
- SatStat (0@0) 10 LastUpdate: 2018-03-31 Github; GPS, sensor and network status; shows position from all location providers on map