Linux Android Backup Companion
|Google Play:||Check if it's there|
Back up your device without vendor lock-ins, using insecure software or root. Supports encryption and compression out of the box. Works cross-platform. Despite its name, this project works on Windows, macOS and Linux.
Linux Android Backup Companion is the Android companion app, giving the backup script access to data otherwise not available to ADB.
Linux Android Backup is a tiny shell script & Flutter app that makes securely backing up Android devices easy, without vendor lock-ins or using closed-source software that could put your data at risk. It's based on ADB but doesn't use the deprecated adb backup command.
Data backed up:
- Apps (.apk files of installed apps)
- Internal storage (pictures, downloads, videos, Signal backups if enabled, etc)
- Contacts (exported in vCard format)
These 3 things are the majority of what anyone would want to keep safe, but we all have different expectations and requirements, so suggestions are welcome.
- Automatically restores backed up data.
- Works on the 3 major operating systems, and supports any Android device.
- Backs up data not normally accessible through ADB using a native companion app.
- Tiny - the script is 5KB in size, and the companion app is around 15 megabytes.
- Doesn't use proprietary formats: your data is safe even if this script ever gets lost. Simply open archives created by this script using 7-Zip.
- Encryption is forced - you can't disable it.
- All data is compressed using 7-Zip with maximum compression settings.
For installation instructions (Linux, Mac, Windows) and usage instructions, head over to the project.