|Google Play:||Check if it's there|
Want to listen to Spotify ads? No? Then install SpotMute. SpotMute is light-weight, permission free¹, and open source.
If you have a device with an aggressive battery saving feature, such as with OnePlus/Huawei/Xiaomi/Samsung, be sure to disable battery saving for SpotMute. Otherwise you will experience issues such as muting not working when the app is not open/screen is off. For further instructions please click the 'Allow SpotMute to run in the background' tile in the app, or visit this site and find your manufacturer.
SpotMute runs in the background and mutes music volume when a Spotify ad is playing, and automagically restores the volume afterwards. All you have to do is enable 'Device Broadcast Status' in Spotify settings, and start SpotMute.
As the name implies, SpotMute does not block ads, it simply mutes them. Therefore it does not mess with the Spotify app, require crazy permissions or even root access. This comes with some limitations, specifically it can not mute ads after you skip a track, before the first track has finished.
- SpotMute comes with a Quick Settings tile and widget for you to easily enable it.
- SpotMute can automatically launch Spotify when the app is opened. See overflow menu for toggle. To enter SpotMute again, use the notificaion.
SpotMute should work on all devices and Android versions! The only things you have to do is:
- Check that 'Device Broadcast Status' is enabled in Spotify settings.
- Disable any battery saving feature for SpotMute (!)
If you hear the beginning/end of an ad, please adjust the muting/unmuting buffer (accessed by the overflow menu). This value is device and environment specific, however it is set to a default value which should work reasonably for most people.
Unfortunately Spotify Lite is not supported because Spotify has removed the functionality I use to detect ads to keep the app lightweight. There is nothing I can do about this.
¹ 'Permission free' is used in a reasonable way:
- 'run foreground service' permission is needed to actually mute ads without the app being open (with display turned on).
- 'network access' is used to load data from dontkillmyapp. Only when you click the orange tile will the app access the internet by performing a http GET request.
The app did originally not have network access, but since so many users have problems with the app being killed and 'not working', I deemed the tradeoff was worth it. This app does not collect personal data and never will. If you're in doubt check out the source code and build it yourself ;)
NonFreeDep: The application depends on a non-free application (e.g. Google Maps) - i.e. it requires it to be installed on the device, but does not include it.
NonFreeNet: This application promotes or entirely depends a non-Free network service.